Glossary Of Watch Terms
- Alarm:A device that used to notice someone at a specific time.
- Accuracy: There is 86400 seconds a day and the limited error difference is 30 seconds, that means the error difference rate is 0.035%,that’s said, correct rate is 99.965%.
- Adjustment: We usually adjust temperature, position, Isochronism. There are 8 adjustments for advanced clocks and watches, including cold, hot , 5 directions. The temperature is usually adjust to 4 ℃, 20 ℃, 38 ℃.
- Arabic Number: 1, 2, 3, 4 , 5, 6, 7,8 ,9 ,0
- ATM(Atmosphere):Water resistant mark on the wrist watch back which indicate how well a watch is selead against water.
- Buckle: A part that used to attach the 2 ends of the watch strap.
- Bezel: The ring that surrounded the watch face.Some are plain, some are functional, some are decorative.
- Crystal: The clear protective cover that shrouds the watch face, made from either synthetic sapphire, acrylic glass or mineral glass. Synthetic sapphire is the most expensive to produce, though it is considerably more scratch resistant than either acrylic glass or mineral glass.
- Crown: A small piece to set the time and may also have other function,such as using it to wind the mainspring on mechanical watches
- Case: The housing of the watch.
- Clasp: It is used to close the watch strap.
- Calender: An indicator on the watch that show you the data or week or year.
- Chronograph: It is a specific type of stop watch that combine with the display watch.
- Dial: It is a watch face, it is the part of an analog watch that displayes the time through the use of a fixed-numbered dial or dials and moving hands.
- ETA: A leading watch movement manufacturer in Switzerland. It was used in many Swiss brand watches.
- Horology: The study of the measurement of time, the art of making clocks and watches. (Learn more about horology here)
- Hands:It is the indicator which points the time on the dial.
- Lug:Small metal pieces that attach the watch case to the straps.
- Movement:It is the mechanism of a watch or timepiece, that is to say, it is the engine of a watch that acts as the power source to make the watch and its functions work。 There are 3 types of movements, including quartz movement, automatic movement, mechanical movement.
- Quartz Movement:It is a type of dynamic mechanism.
- Strap: A piece of leather or stainless steel that use to tie the watch on the hand.
Waterproof: The water resistance function for a watch.